New vehicle purchased in a country outside the European Union

Any road vehicle owned or held by a person with an address in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg can only be put on the road in the Grand Duchy if it has been registered and is covered by a valid registration certificate.

Who does this apply to?

  • Anyone living in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg who buys a new vehicle.
  • Garages and assimilated businesses (able to justify being authorised to deal in road vehicles) may carry out the procedure on behalf of their customers.
  • If the application is submitted by a third party, that person must present a written power of attorney (mandate). In this case, it is important to ensure that all documents mention the name of the holder, owner or keeper of the vehicle in whose name the vehicle will be registered, and not that of their representative (mandate holder).


Before a new vehicle can be registered, the person concerned must apply for a registration number.

Supporting documents

A new vehicle can be registered on production of the following documents:

  • a duly completed and signed registration certificate application form (Demande en obtention d'un certificat d'immatriculation);
  • the required 'Droit de Chancellerie' tax stamp(s);
  • the original invoice. If necessary, a translation of this document may be required;
  • a valid insurance certificate;
  • the 'vignette 705' customs document;
  • the European certificate of conformity, if the vehicle has been produced for the European market. If not, a European homologation certificate issued by the SNCH;
  • the registration document, if one has been produced;
  • the passport or ID card of the holder, owner or keeper of the vehicle;

The original of each document must be produced.

For any other documents that may be required, please consult the FAQ section.

Application processing

Please make an appointment online, or send your application by post, preferably by registered post.

What to do

  • To register a vehicle from a country outside the European Union (EU), please refer to the section " Importing a vehicle "
  • To register a vehicle that has been transformed or altered, please refer to the section " Getting an alteration, a transformation, or accesories registered "

Depending on the nature of the transformation, the vehicle may have to undergo a technical inspection by an authorised technical inspection body in Luxembourg.

Last update