Second-hand vehicle registered in a European Union country

Any road vehicle owned or held by a person with an address in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg can only be put on the road in the Grand Duchy if it has been registered and is covered by a valid registration certificate.

Who does this apply to?

  • Anyone who lives in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and buys a vehicle that was last registered elsewhere.
  • Anyone who moves to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg must have his/her vehicle registered in the Grand Duchy within six months of arrival.
  • Garages and assimilated businesses (able to justify being authorised to deal in road vehicles) may carry out the procedure on behalf of their customers.
  • If the application is submitted by a third party, that person must present a written power of attorney (mandate). In this case, it is important to ensure that all documents mention the name of the holder, owner or keeper of the vehicle in whose name the vehicle will be registered, and not that of their representative (mandate holder).


Before a vehicle can be registered, the person concerned must apply for a registration number, or use a registration number still reserved in his or her name.

Supporting documents

The registration of a vehicle already registered in an EU country requires the following documents:

  • a duly completed and signed registration certificate application form (Demande en obtention d'un certificat d'immatriculation);
  • the required 'Droit de Chancellerie' tax stamp(s);
  • a valid insurance certificate;
  • the 'vignette 705' customs document;
  • the vehicle's registration document. If necessary, a translation of this document may be required;
  • the passport or ID card of the holder, owner or keeper of the vehicle;
  • Optional > ** the original invoice, in the case of a sale by a company, or the original sales contract, in the case of a sale between private individuals. If necessary, a translation of this document may be required;

** if the invoice is missing or it is not possible to trace the new owner unequivocally, the SNCA can register you as the holder, even if you can't provide all the supporting documents needed to unequivocally document all successive transfers of ownership. However, you won't be listed as the owner on the registration certificate. Only the holder of the vehicle will be recorded. The registration certificate will contain in the section C.4c following information for the holder "is not identified by the registration certificate as the owner of the vehicle", no owner will be recorded on the registration certificate.

  • If the vehicle was registered for the first time after 1 February 2016:
    • the European certificate of conformity;
  • If the vehicle is subject to periodic technical inspections:
    • a valid technical inspection certificate issued for the vehicle by an authorised technical inspection body in the Grand Duchy.
    • a valid technical inspection certificate issued by the competent authorities of the country where the vehicle was last registered (for member States of the European Economic Area and Switzerland) amending the Directive 2014/45/EU. This certificate may be accepted when the vehicle is being registered in Luxembourg, on condition that the period of validity of the certificate does not exceed the period of time provided for in Luxembourg law.

The original of each document must be produced.

For any other documents that may be required, please consult the FAQ section.

Checks carried out on the vehicle

  • To register a vehicle from the European Union (EU), please refer to the section " Importing a vehicle "
  • To register a vehicle that has been transformed or altered, please refer to the section " Getting an alteration, a transformation, or accesories registered "

Depending on the nature of the transformation, the vehicle may have to undergo a technical inspection by a technical inspection body approved in Luxembourg.

Application processing

  • Please make an appointment online, or send your application by post (only if the vehicle does not have to be physically presented), preferably by registered post.

Last update